The Importance of Maintaining Advertising Consistency
Numerous studies demonstrate the advantages of maintaining or even increasing ad budgets during times of uncertainty. Advertisers that maintained or grew their ad spending benefited from increased sales and market share during both the challenging times and afterward.
There are several reasons to maintain an advertising schedule:
- Your ad is more likely to be noticed if the competition pulls back on its advertising and there are fewer ads in the market.
- You have the chance to be the company consumers spend with now while also gaining their future business.
- When a business cuts back on its ad spending, it loses its “share of mind” with consumers, with the potential of losing current – and possibly future – sales.
- An increase in “share of voice” typically leads to an increase in “share of market.” An increase in market share often results in an increase in profits.
- 86% of consumers say businesses who advertise during challenging times are top of mind when it comes time to make purchase decisions.
- Businesses that advertise project to consumers the image of stability during challenging times.
- 80% of consumers agree with the statement “I will seek more information about an ad that I find interesting.”
- 79% of consumers agree that “advertising helps me learn about new products.”
- 74% of consumers surveyed said they “appreciate advertising that is relevant to me.”
Consider implementing these advertising strategies to earn more business:
- Change your advertising message to focus on items and services that consumers need now such as curbside pick-up and delivery services or reinforce the procedures your company is taking to ensure safety or compliance.
- Recognize customer loyalty by using this time to thank customers for supporting your business.
- Include a reassuring message that reinforces an emotional connection and demonstrates empathy during these trying times.
- Promote the option for consumers to shop online for your products or services.
- Offer short-term price incentives. This promotes a sense of community and a “we’re-in-this-together” approach that shows an awareness and sensitivity that earns trust.
With more people turning to newspapers, now is the time to advertise and the team at MANSI Media can help. Email Help@MANSIMedia.com to learn how.
Sources: Harris Interactive/Yankelovich; MNI