Digital marketing strategies for the travel industry
By Morgan Edge-Fosmire
Digital Media Manager
Nothing motivates people to plan a summer vacation like life in the throes of winter. Frigid weather conditions spawn dreams of escape and adventure at the first sign of spring thaw. It makes winter an opportune time for travel marketing specialists to engage would-be vacationers.
Because digital marketing is an essential tool in a successful media plan, knowing how to incorporate the right strategies can help achieve dynamic results and maximize your budget.
The first step is targeting. Experian Marketing Services has identified five categories of travelers to help narrow your focus and reach your desired audience:
- Seasonal spenders – People who travel every year, mostly during peak summer season. They are willing to spend more on travel expenses.
- Frequent travelers – Traveling is part of their lifestyle. They are more likely to travel to new locations more often. They will spend more on travel but also enroll in loyalty programs for rewards.
- Travel transportation modes – This is targeting by preferred method of travel. Examples include auto, airplane, trains and RVs.
- Luxury travelers – From high-end accommodations to Michelin-Star restaurants, luxury is key. They are willing to spend more for top-tier vacations in exotic ports of call and exclusive resorts.
- Vacation type – Based more on location and duration, these vacations vary from day trips to amusement parks, weekend camping trips, to weeklong beach stays.
These insights point travel advertisers in the right direction and ensure their message is being delivered to the desired audience.
Once the targets are established, selecting the right digital components can go a long way in building a successful campaign. Two popular tactics are:
- Video advertising – Recorded immersive experiences, that capture the beauty of a destination, or the excitement of trying a new activity, or the joy of spending time with family or friends, allow consumers to imagine themselves in a certain place. Travelers prefer to see videos before making final booking decisions. According to Travel Pulse, about 45% of people book a trip immediately after viewing a travel video.
- Native advertising – Whether through social media or mobile or display, native advertising is a highly effective digital advertising tool as these ads are less intrusive and appear as a natural part of the feed. Combining strong factual and informative content with captivating images of beaches, European capitals or national parks, the ads flow seamlessly with the other content on the page, increasing engagement with end users.
In a post-pandemic world, the travel industry is booming with no signs of slowing down. If you are, or represent, a client in the travel industry, contact MANSI Media for help leveraging the best marketing tools to target the right audience, and ultimately guide you toward a successful digital campaign.