Who reads a newspaper?
Every day, across the United States, millions of people pick up a printed newspaper or visit their local news media website to stay informed.
But who are these readers?
While media buyers know that newspapers tend to be community thought leaders who are employed, own a home and have an above-average income, other aspects of their demographic profile are sometimes overlooked. Below, we look at five of the largest markets in North America and highlight some unique facts about those audiences.
The midwestern hub of culture and commerce, Chicago is a city known for its deep-dish pizza, its incredible basketball team and many frequently visited museums. The market is also home to more than 4.8 million regular newspaper readers.
Newspaper readers in Chicago:
- Enjoy a ball game and are 35% more likely than the average resident to attend 10 or more Major League Baseball games in a year.
- Are interested in attending an all-inclusive resort in the next 12 months, with more than 790,000 readers looking to book their next trip.
- Enjoy a glass of wine. Newspaper readers’ favorite brands are Francis Coppola, La Crema and Clos du Bois.
- Are buying Dodge full-size cars, with the average reader 40% more likely to purchase one by the end of 2020.
- Want to look good and are 37% more likely than the average Chicagoan to have had cosmetic surgery in the past three years.
- Are off to the track. Newspaper readers in Chicago are 45% more likely to attend a horse race.
If you are a media buyer looking to reach the newspaper audience in Chicago, consider running in one of the following newspapers:
- Chicago Tribune
- Chicago Sun Times
- Redeye (Chicago)
- Daily Herald (Arlington Heights)
- Times (Munster)
- Korea Times Chicago
- Daily Journal (Kankakee)
- Northwest Herald (Crystal Lake)
Dallas – Ft. Worth
Home to nine Fortune 500 companies, the designated market area (DMA) of Dallas/Fort Worth is known as a hub for defense, financial services, information technology, telecommunications and transportation industries. With more than 3 million regular newspaper readers, it is also a great market to reach consumers through the trusted platform provided by the news media industry.
Newspaper readers in Dallas – Ft. Worth:
- Frequently visit sit-down restaurants, 38% more likely then non-newspaper reading residents, and particularly enjoy the daily buffet at Furr’s Family Dining, with nearly 75,000 readers visiting in the past month.
- Are more than 30% more likely to attend health, wellness or fitness events than the average person in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
- Enjoy Monday Night Football, with more than 1.2 million regularly watching.
- Make an excellent market for travel agents, with nearly 50% of them using one in the last year.
- Are huge fans of the Golf Channel. Newspaper readers are more than 50% more likely than the average resident to have watched a game in the past seven days.
If you are a media buyer looking to reach the newspaper audience in Dallas/Fort Worth, consider running in one of the following newspapers:
- Dallas Morning News
- Fort Worth Star Telegram
- Focus Daily News (Desoto)
- Denton Record-Chronicle
- Sulphur Springs News-Telegram
- Paris News
- Greenville Herald Banner
- Waxahachie Daily Light
Officially the City of Los Angeles, but often referred to by its nickname, “L.A.” is known for its warm climate, the entertainment industry and the bad traffic brought about by its sprawling size. L.A. is home to a considerable number of newspaper readers, with more than 8.5 million consumers regularly reached through print and digital.
Newspaper readers in Los Angeles:
- Are big fans of the UC Irvine Anteaters. They are 37% more likely than the average L.A. resident to attend a game.
- Enjoy a good night’s rest, with more than 100,000 purchasing a Sleep Number bed in the past 12-months.
- Want to save the planet, they are more than 30% more likely to engage in 10 or more eco-friendly activities regularly. More than 175,000 plan to purchase an electric car in the next 12 months.
- Are active participants in statewide elections, with more than 4.6 million always voting.
- Can be found at Trader Joe’s. More than 2.5 million newspaper readers have shopped at the grocery chain in the past seven days.
- Are likely to be found at the airport. Newspaper readers in Los Angeles are 40% more likely to take one or more domestic air trips in the past 12 months than others.
If you are a media buyer looking to reach the newspaper audience in Los Angeles, consider running in one of the following newspapers:
- Los Angeles Times
- Venture County Star
- Zhong Guo Daily News
- Press-Enterprise (Riverside)
- Orange County Register
- Chinese L.A. Daily News
- Daily Breeze (Los Angeles)
- LA Opinion
New York City
New York is the cultural, financial and media capital of the world, as well as the largest city in the United States. With that standing, it also houses the largest number of newspaper readers in the country, weighing in with more than 12 million regular readers.
Newspaper readers in New York:
- Are patrons of the arts, with more than 2.2 million visiting an art gallery in the past 12 months.
- But also regularly dine at Hooters for lunch, with the average reader 34% more likely to stop in at the “Delightfully Tacky, Yet Unrefined” restaurant than other New Yorkers.
- Are international travelers. They are 30% more likely to have visited India in the past 12 months, more than 25% more likely to have visited Southeast Asia and almost 30% have visited our neighbor to the north, Canada, in the past 12 months.
- Enjoy bourbon whiskey, with more than 1.6 million partaking in the past 30 days.
If you are a media buyer looking to reach the newspaper audience in New York, consider running in one of the following newspapers:
- New York Times
- AM New York
- New York Daily News
- New York Post
- Newsday (Melville)
- Record (Hackensack)
- Star Ledger (Newark)
- Journal-News (White Plains)
The city of brotherly love, Philadelphia, is known for its cheesesteaks, its rowdy sports fans and its cultural heritage. Advertisers can reach this profitable audience through newspapers, with more than 4.5 million residents reading a newspaper in print or digital regularly.
Newspaper readers in Philadelphia….
- Are in the market for daycare. Newspaper readers are 34% more likely than the average resident to purchase this service in the next 12 months.
- Enjoy a good farmers market, with almost a half million newspaper readers visiting one in the past seven days.
- Are drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon beer. Newspaper readers are 22% likely to drink a Pabst then the average Philadelphian.
- Need to find a good mechanic. Newspaper readers are 34% more likely to have visited the garage more than five times in the past year.
- Are a prime target for an ophthalmologist, with more than 1.2 million newspaper readers visiting one in the past 12 months.
If you are a media buyer looking to reach the newspaper audience in Philadelphia, consider running in one of the following newspapers:
- Philadelphia Inquirer
- Philadelphia Daily News
- Bucks County Courier Times
- The Intelligencer (Doylestown)
- Metro Philadelphia
- News Journal (Wilmington)
- Allentown Morning Call
- Reading Eagle
Find Your Audience
It has never been easier to reach your audience through a newspaper. With the help of the MANSI Media team, you can find the right paper, in the right market, to reach the right customers. Call or email us today to start improving your marketing plans with precision targeting and flawless execution on your next campaign. Email Help@MANSIMedia.com today to simplify your next newspaper buy.