The Most Trusted Medium
Industry reports demonstrate that newspaper readership is robust, that newspapers reach the educated and affluent audience that advertisers are seeking. Recent data from the Poynter Media Trust Survey, a Coda Ventures study, and Marketing Sherpa confirm that newspapers are the most trusted medium, not only for news but also for advertising.
Newspaper Readership is Impressive!
The most recent newspaper industry reports confirm that newspapers have a large and loyal base of readers.
- More than 129 million U.S. adults, or more than 6 out of 10, read newspaper media each week.1
- Sixty-one percent of adults aged 18-34, and more than 6 in 10 adults aged 35+, read a newspaper, each week.1
- Seventy-one percent of households with income above $100K are newspaper readers.1
- 82 million adults access newspaper content on their smartphones or tablet.1
Newspaper Advertising Motivates Buyers
Research findings indicate that newspapers are THE place to invest your advertising dollars. Newspapers and their integrated products reach an educated and affluent audience who are avid shoppers. Check out these newspaper advertising statistics.
- Nine out of ten newspaper readers (91%) report that they take action after reading or looking at inserts.2
- Eight in ten (79%) of newspaper readers took action as a result of reading a newspaper ad in the past 30 days3
- Seven in ten adults 18 and older cite the newspaper as their preferred source for coupons3
- 71% of all consumers use the print coupons they receive in the newspaper4
- Consumers find newspapers the best medium for bringing sales to their attention3
Advertising in Newspapers Causes Readers to Act: The Top 10 Consumer Actions Taken5
- Gather more information about the product or service
- Visit the advertiser’s website
- Have a more favorable opinion about the advertiser
- Save the ad for future reference
- Recommend the product or service to someone
- Pass along the ad to someone
- Ask someone about the product or service
- Consider purchasing the product or service
- Visit a store, dealer, or other location
- Search online for the product or service
The advantages of newspaper advertising are wide-ranging
REACH: More than 6 in 10 U.S. adults read a newspaper product each week.
ENGAGEMENT: Readers are highly engaged with newspapers in print, online, smartphones, and tablets because they value the news, advertising, and local feature coverage. Eight in 10 newspaper users acted on a newspaper ad in the past month.
MOST TRUSTED MEDIUM: Newspaper is the most trusted medium not only for news and information but also for trusting advertisers and their content.
TARGETING OPTIONS: One of the strong benefits of newspaper advertising is that newspapers offer a variety of ways to target a particular audience, whether it’s zoning inserts by zip code and using a niche publication to target a certain ethnic group or behaviorally targeting a specific group through a newspaper’s digital property, newspaper options offer a wide range of products to reach any audience an advertiser is looking to connect.
CONVENIENCE: Newspaper companies offer their readers a variety of platforms to choose from in how to receive their news and advertising content. Readers place a high value on the ability to consume newspapers in the format that is most convenient and useful depending on the time and place.
DEMOGRAPHICS: Another advantage of newspaper advertising is that newspaper readers are the demographic group that advertisers are looking to reach. More than seventy-one percent of U.S. adults with a household income of over $100k read newspaper content each week. Nearly three-quarters of U.S. adults with a college degree access newspaper content each week. With newspaper advertising, brand messages can reach an affluent, educated audience who is ready to be swayed by your message in either print or digital formats.
Sources: 1 2021 Release 1 Nielsen Scarborough Report. Copyright 2021 Scarborough Research. All rights reserved. 2Coda/Triad Newspaper Insert Study, 3NAA How America Shops and Spends, 4 Valassis Consumer Intel Report, 5Triad Newspaper Ad Effectiveness Service, 6 Release 1 Nielsen Scarborough Report. Copyright 2021 Scarborough Research. All rights reserved.; News Media Alliance “New Advertising Panorama”; New Media Alliance Playbook.