Advantages of Newspaper Advertising
The manner in which consumers read a newspaper varies from print and online to tablets and smartphones. Take note of the compelling newspaper advertising benefits and statistics below and you'll see that newspapers, in any format, are an important vehicle to reach an audience that is highly desirable to advertisers.
- 158 million American adults read anewspaper media content in the average week1
- 179.3 million unique visitors viewed newspaper websites in August 20151
- 89 million adults access newspaper content on their smartphones or tablets in a typical month1
The advantages of newspaper advertising are wide-ranging:
- REACH – Nearly 7 out of 10 adults have read a newspaper in the past week – that’s 518 million Americans1!
ENGAGEMENT –Readers are highly engaged with newspapers in print, online, smartphones and tablets because they value the news, advertising and local feature coverage. 79% of newspaper users took action on a newspaper ad in the past month2!
- TARGETING OPTIONS – One of the strong benefits of newspaper advertising is that newspapers offer a variety of ways to target a particular audience. Whether it’s zoning inserts by zip code or using a niche publication to target a certain ethnic group or behaviorally targeting a certain group on a newspaper website, newspaper products offer a wide range of products to target any audience an advertiser is looking to reach.
- CONVENIENCE - Newspaper companies offer their readers a variety of platforms to choose from in how to receive their news and advertising content. Readers place a high value on the ability to consume newspapers in the format that is most convenient and useful depending on the time and place.
Another one of the biggest advantages of newspaper advertising is that newspaper readers are the demographic group that advertisers are looking to reach. Newspapers attract readers of all ages – 58% of adults 18-34,63% of adults 35-49 and 72% of adults 55 or older. Newspaper readers are also affluent, reaching 72.2% of households with income between $50k and $99k, 74% of households with income between $100k and $249k, and 75% of households with incomes of $250k plus1.
Sources: 1NAA 9 Quick Facts about Newspaper Media, 2NAA How America Shops and Spends