The habits of the American consumer continue to change. From generation to generation, advertisers and marketers need to adapt to maintain their market dominance. While the industry is still working through the changes and disruption brought about by the millennial generation, it must now start to also embrace the burgeoning force that is Generation Z.
Who is Generation Z?
Generation Z, also known as the iGeneration and post-millennials, is a growing force to be reckoned with in the economy. Gen Z has influence over $143 billion (The Power of Gen Z Influencers), compared to the $65 billion (Multicultural Millennials: The Multiplier Effect) millennials bring to the table. This huge number is evidence of the importance of this generation. Let’s take a closer look at Generation Z and who they are.
- Generation Z is comprised of people born between the mid-1990’s and early 2000’s.They currently make up over 25% of the U.S. population (Wikipedia).
- Generation Z are digital natives, living most of their life with the internet and related technology.Over half of them are connected online 10 hours or more per day.This connectivity changes their media habits, with almost 60% of their video consumption directed through OTT services (Forbes).
- Generation Z wants to see authenticity from their brands and will reward those brands with loyalty.Over 40% of this generation trust long-established brands (Inc.com).
- Generation Z, who identify as being loyal, compassionate, thoughtful, open-minded, responsible and determined, are looking to engage with media that reflect their values.Over 80% of Gen Z turn to newspapers for trusted information and content (MediaPost).
How to reach Generation Z?
Tapping into the buying power of the latest generation will provide a challenge for marketers, but not an insurmountable one. Below are three tips to help improve your success in reaching this new market:
- Utilize trusted and authentic media to connect with this audience.As they start their discovery process, they are looking for content to inform their decision, and they are open to sponsored / native content to help in that process.
- Include video elements in your campaign.This audience is engaging more and more with video, spending over 2 hours each day with YouTube (Generation Z Media Consumption Habits) and your brand needs to meet the audience where they are.
- Generation Z is still young and heavily influenced by their parents (Gen X).Utilize traditional media that is strong with their parent’s generation to filter messages and buying behaviors down to them.
Are you trying to determine if local media is the right fit to reach your audience? Let MANSI Media help. With one call (717-703-3030) or email (Sales@MANSIMedia.com), our team can start providing you with the information you need to make that decision. From historical data gathered from over 20-years of media buying or the latest release from Scarborough Research, we are here to guide your print and local online buying decisions.