Last year, Warren Buffet said it best when he wrote: “There is no substitute for a local newspaper that is doing its job.”
Mr. Buffet’s company, BH Media Group, a Berkshire Hathaway company, now owns 69 community newspapers located in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Texas, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma and New Jersey. The main goal of these community daily and weekly newspapers is to be indispensable to the communities they serve. Mr. Buffet believes in this approach and readers across the country continue to find great value in their local newspapers.
Community newspapers connect with readers by providing the news they need and the advertising they rely on. Where else can readers find an article about their local high school’s prom, the Little League baseball scores, or an ad for the church pancake breakfast? Because of this narrow focus on the communities people identify themselves with, local readers regard community newspapers as highly valuable and as an important source of information.
A recent survey of community newspaper readers concluded that community newspapers are:
- EDUCATIONAL - 92% of readers think local newspapers are informative
- HELPFUL – 69% of readers believe community newspapers provide valuable shopping and advertising information
- ENGAGING -75% of readers are entertained by local newspapers
- ENJOYABLE – 84% of readers look forward to reading community newspapers
- ADDICTIVE – Readers spend nearly 40 minutes with their local paper
- ENLIGHTENENING – 83% of readers said they and their families rely on community newspapers for local news and information
- COMPELLING – 75% of readers read all or most of their community newspaper
- SHARED – Community newspapers average 2.18 readers per copy
- DESIRABLE – 98% of readers pay for their community newspaper
Local newspapers connect deeply with the communities they serve and are a great place for advertisers to reach engaged readers. With our proprietary zip code analysis tool, MANSI Media can help you find the community publications that best serve your client’s target audience.
SOURCES: NAA Readership Study; American Opinion Research Study